For many people, remote working is not a new phenomenon. In the 1980’s remote working began to be actively encouraged and the term “telecommuting” coined as a drive to minimise traffic congestion and pollution in some of the most densely populated US states. More recently, the possibility of flexible and remote working has been used as a tool to attract and retain employees. Now in 2021, with remote working established as the norm for so many of us, both the need and demand for Virtual Team Development is accelerating dramatically!
Maximising Remote Working — Re-aligning, re-focusing and Re-motivating
Remote working today continues to provide many benefits. For the organisation, it can cite greater productivity, better morale, lower turnover, lower absenteeism and a wider talent pool. For individuals many enjoy less time commuting, cost savings, less stress, more autonomy, a richer work/life balance and an absence of office politics. And society benefits too, with less pollution, less traffic congestion and a greater community involvement.
However, working from home is not without its challenges. Within your team, you may feel you are grappling with the frequently cited challenges of:
- Managing the progress of the project
- The quality and clarity of team communication
- Building trust and commitment
Add to this, the personal challenges of overworking, maximising productivity and staying motivated!
Virtual Team Development — 60-minute Workshops
At Coach Mentoring Ltd we can support you and your team with these challenges. One way in which we can do this is via our 60-minute virtual team development workshops; facilitated touch points to enable you and your team members to re-align, re-focus and bring team communication back to the fore of how we can support each other.
Taking place via Zoom, the 60-minute sessions cover:
- The sharing of personal challenges and opportunities of remote working.
- Reality checks on what aspects of the project are working well and which less well.
- An exploration of working styles and preferences and how you can make the most of these.
- A consideration of next steps to improve working from home.
Team Management Profile to provide a common language
Utilising the Margerison-McCann Team Management Profile as an anchor for discussion, we can remind ourselves of what our work preferences are, the impact of how these are currently being met or not, and how we can enhance communication with others who may see the world of work in very different ways to ourselves. The Team Management Profile Questionnaire measures our work preferences for how we prefer to:
- Relate to others
- Gather and use information
- Make decisions
- Organise ourselves and others
A positive understanding of our own work preferences and a consideration of why we experience some aspects of remote working more positively or negatively is extremely important. Coupled with an appreciation of the need to alter our communication styles with others whom we may lead, manage and interact, these insights can prove to be extremely beneficial to the success and motivation of the team.
Work-Focused and Supportive
We design sessions to be positive, supportive and engaging, providing an opportunity to combine a focus on both the work but also promoting well-being. The sessions often prove to be a time when individuals feel they can share about how they are feeling and coping in these uncertain times.
Why Choose The Team Management Profile for Virtual Team Development?
- The tool measures work preferences, not preferences outside of work. Discussions can immediately focus on the implications of the learning for the workplace, providing a feeling of relevance for a working group.
- The Team Management Profile is underpinned by a model of high performance, a model of success; the Types of Work Model. This researched model effectively enables discussions around the current and hoped for successes of the team. Teams can use this in prioritisation of resources and effort.
- The Team Management Profile Questionnaire and the resulting Profile are available in many languages. This works well for diverse, multi-cultural teams. Individuals can complete the questionnaire in their first language, with the output in a different language to support workshop discussions.
- The colourful models within the Team Management Profile have both immediate impact and are memorable too. This can support an individual and team’s ongoing reflections and learning.
- The Profile can be read and digested as a personal development tool, in addition, to being shared for the learning of the team. Having relevance to the individual and to the team is hugely empowering.
- There are 208 textual variations of the narrative within each Team Management Profile which is important to the face validity of the report.
You may feel one facilitated session is sufficient to re-energise your team. Then leave everyone with practical next-steps to embed the learning. Equally, you may wish to diarise a series of sessions in order that we can support you re-focus, re-align and re-motivate. We look forward to discussing your needs. So please do get in touch.
Enjoyed this article?
Fill in our contact form.