Coaching with WWF
Lis Merrick has been working globally with WWF in coaching a number of their senior leaders. The coaching has particularly supported a new cohort of individuals who have been placed in challenging leadership positions around the world, as well as team and performance coaching.
Some of this coaching is face-to-face coaching based at the HQ of WWF International in Gland, Switzerland, but much of the coaching is conducted on a global basis and is a mixture of telephone and skype coaching.
Leadership Development — Mentoring and Coaching Skills
As part of the emphasis being placed on leadership development within SITA, Lis Merrick has been working with a number of senior executives globally to actively engage with them to enhance their understanding and capability of mentoring and coaching. These are critical leadership capabilities, which used effectively, will greatly augment their leadership skill set.
Lis is holding five coaching sessions with each executive to cover the following areas of mentoring and coaching knowledge, process and skills:
- Team Coaching
- Using Emotional Intelligence in Mentoring and Coaching
- Advanced Mentoring and Coaching Skills and Techniques.
Abercrombie & Kent
In July 2008, Coach Mentoring Ltd facilitated a Senior Management Development Programme for Abercrombie & Kent in Mombasa, Kenya. The seven day team programme was designed and run by Coach Mentoring Ltd in conjunction with the Executive Team from Abercrombie & Kent and comprised modules in Strategy, Marketing, Finance, Quality and Coaching and Mentoring, as well as team exercises and a business case study. Developmental coaching sessions were provided to the delegates during the evenings.
Coach Mentoring Ltd continued to provide ongoing coaching support to the 16 delegates who attended the programme for six months afterwards. These individuals are based around the world in places such as Chile, Argentina, New York, Egypt, Kenya, Tanzania, South Africa, Thailand, Burma and Australia.
Simon Laxton, Executive Vice President, Operations for Abercrombie & Kent said at the end of the programme:
“Our first Senior Management Development Programme has been an overwhelming success for the company and we are very pleased with the support that Coach Mentoring Ltd provided us with the development and facilitation of the whole event.”
Whessoe Oil and Gas Ltd
Implementation of a Coaching Culture
Whessoe did not have the budget to bring in external coaches, nor did it want to build external dependency for it’s coaching, so its focus began on the development of their internal coaching capability.
Whessoe developed their own internal system and:
- Introduced coaching training and reinforced coaching skills with line manager coaches, three stages of workshops were designed and were run over a 15 month period
- Feedback was provided to individuals on their coaching style/skills, starting with the MD and moving through the management team and beyond
- Coaching was provided for performance management in particular to ensure that a culture of “don’t walk by a problem” was encouraged
- Encouragement to be coached was offered – “challenge your boss to coach you if they are not doing so!” This is a key message encouraged, in particular as part of their Performance Management programme.
- A mentoring programme was introduced. Mentoring was opened to the whole company with lunchtime sessions being held to energise and motivate mentors and mentees.
- The senior team are coaching and mentoring role models – every member of the senior team has been individually supported and coached in these areas and is taking responsibility for implementing the learning culture in their area.
- The development of a group of six individuals the “Special Coaching Group” who are enthusiastic in supporting coaching and mentoring further within the organisation, they have been receiving additional skills training and are able to support others within the organisation when appropriate. These individuals work as “internal coaches” and are available outside of the normal line manager coach type relationship.
- Development of appraisal and personal development plan processes, both supported by line management coaching processes, which also reinforce the use of additional coaching and mentoring relationships to enable individuals to achieve their performance targets and achieve their potential.
Coach Mentoring Ltd worked with the Senior Management Team and HR at Whessoe Oil and Gas Ltd to design and implement these processes and the evaluation feedback showed considerable growth towards achieving the coaching culture that was being sought.